Monday, October 24, 2011

Review: Secret Society

 
Title: Secret Society
Author: Tom Dolby
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date:  October 1st 2009 
Formant: Paperback (ARC from Nicki @WORDforTeens)
Secret Society (Secret Society, #1) An eccentric new girl. A brooding socialite. The scion of one of New York's wealthiest families. A promising filmmaker. As students at the exclusive Chadwick School, Phoebe, Lauren, Nick, and Patch already live in a world most teenagers only dream about.
They didn't ask to be Society members. But when three of them receive a mysterious text message promising success and fame beyond belief, they say yes to everything—even to the harrowing initiation ceremony in a gritty warehouse downtown and to the ankh-shaped tattoo they're forced to get on the nape of their necks. Once they're part of the Society, things begin falling into place for them. Week after week, their ambitions are fulfilled. It's all perfect—until a body is found in Central Park with no distinguishing marks except for an ankh-shaped tattoo.
Secret Society comes with a wonderful synopsis to make you want to read it, and it has a very interesting plot to suck you in. At least, that's how it was for me.

After reading a quarter of the book, I realized that this book hadn't reached its full potential yet. The characters weren't fleshed out so there was hardly anything to relate to with any of the characters. The plot was fantastic but I think that it could have been so much bigger. The essence of the plot wasn't fleshed out either, so when I ended the book, I felt like I sort of wasted my time.

However, there are good things about the book! The main idea of the plot - a secret society that brands people and gives them all the success they want - is very alluring. I couldn't put the book down, because I wanted to now what would be the Secret Society's next move. It had a few surprises and confusing twists but that made it all the better.

Character wise, I first liked Nick and Phoebe best. Phoebe was an artsy teenager without a lot of money. Nick was the handsome, down to earth, rich guy. However, over time, Phoebe became a whiny, annoying character but Nick stayed the same. At the end of the book, I loved Nick and Patch the best. Patch was adventurous and challenging. He did things that most others would be afraid to do and I always was interested in how it would end for him. I was sorta surprised at his ending.

As a whole, there were some serious downfalls in the book but all its good things combined, I gave it three sporks. I'm not sure if this interests me enough to read the sequel, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.