Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: Mockingjay

 
Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date:  August 24th 2010
Format: Hardback (Bought)
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost.
I loved The Hunger Games and I even loved Catching Fire. But I don't love this book. For one, I don't feel the ending was right. I think Katniss deserved to have more of a peaceful end after the Capitol and President Snow was overturned. I wanted to see some more elaboration about her little pieces of happiness.

But...when you start Mockingjay, there is no turning back. I couldn't put it down, even though I wanted to. It was incredibly slow at the beginning, and I was so frustrated with Katniss. She wouldn't rise and do anything for such a long time! Then should would and more problems would arise. I just generally don't like the story. Especially with what happens to Peeta and then how Gale turns out. I was unhappy.

The deaths are countless and some really good characters die. I won't say who, though. I also think that the plot could have been something better. I think Collins could have taken the plot in another direction, something that resulted in a more peaceful -- not necessarily happy -- end for Katniss. I gave the four stars because Collins still can weave a great story and creates such brilliant imagery. Her characters are gripping and I couldn't shut it because I wanted to know what happened to them. (I almost cried at Prim's part.)


Also, to state it again, I HATE love triangles. Especially this one. I became so conflicted, that I just wanted one of them to die so she'd be forced to be happy with the other. No lie.

And I don't know if I'm making sense on the ending part, but I'm not quite sure how to describe. Yes, I know all endings aren't happy. There was just something about it that didn't settle right with me...I just can't put my finger on it.


However, if you've started this series, you have to read this. There's no other way around it. Just be prepared to be totally broken to pieces.

I gave it FOUR out of FIVE Sporks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.