Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

I don't know what took me so long to read this, but I'm glad I finally picked it up!

The Tales of Beedle the Bard includes about five short stories that were made to entertain young wizards and witches in the world of Harry Potter. Two of these stories were ones that were mentioned a couple times throughout the actual series; Babbity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump, and The Tale of the Three Brothers. Each tale is followed by commentary from Albus Dumbledore.

I enjoyed reading the stories, though I didn't quite care for the commentary. I also didn't understand Dumbledore's stand on The Tale of the Three Brothers. We're led to believe that the Deathly Hallows are real (in the books) and that Dumbledore was apart of this legend. However, he denies the existence of these items and talks about how ludicrous the idea is of thinking they exist. Perhaps this was something he would have written in case anybody read his notes before he died/before the Deathly Hallows came to light. Perhaps it was his way of protecting the items. After all, what logical wizard or witch would deny the words of Dumbledore? (Though he is known to be sly...)

I loved how the net proceeds from the book went to charity to help young children. It made the stories feel more like...kid stories. The way they should. I would have liked to see more of Beedle's tales, since his book was obviously bigger in the movie. ;D I also would have liked to see the Deathly Hallows symbol 'sketched' onto the title page of The Tale of the Three Brothers.

However, it was an enjoyable light read, but I wouldn't read it to children. ;D


I give it four Sporks!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.