Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Intertwined

 
Title: Intertwined
Author: Gena Showalter
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Release Date:  September 1st 2009
Format: Paperback
There's something about the new guy at Crossroads High…

Most sixteen-year-olds have friends.
Aden Stone has four human souls living inside him:

One can time travel.

One can raise the dead.

One can possess another human.

One can tell the future.

Everyone thinks he's crazy, which is why he's spent his entire life shuffled between mental institutions and juvie. All of that is about to change, however. For months Aden has been having visions of a beautiful girl—a girl who carries centuries-old secrets. A girl who will either save him or destroy him.
Together they'll enter a dark world of intrigue and danger…but not everyone will come out alive.
This time around, I was looking for a refreshing read but one with a bit of meat to the plot. Intertwined was one such book.

The story revolves around a teenage boy, Aden Stone, who has four souls trapped in his head. That sure caught my attention, so I plunged on. Turns out, each soul has an ability. One can time travel, one can raise the dead, one can tell the future, and one can possess others. By that time, I was all for this book.

As you read, Aden Stone finds a girl (Mary Anne) who knocks the wind out of him - literally. When they meet, they both have this unexplainable urge to hug each other...and run away from each other. Soon after meeting, they're both plunged into a world of vampires, werewolves, fairies, goblins... you name it!

Aden falls in love with Victoria, a vampire who is somehow going to save him. Vampires are always iffy ground for me, since I'm afraid another Twilight will crop up or it'll be something super cheesy. However, Intertwined was pretty neutral. Nothing super creative, but it was all tolerable.

They're all drawn together by the burst of energy Mary Anne and Aden created when they met each other. Which leads to one of the bigger plot devices! Yeah for plot devices! (And the crowd goes wild!)

Of all the characters, I love Riley & Caleb the best. Riley is a werewolf who has the best attitude in the whole book. He's got style and he's cute. Caleb is one of the souls trapped in Aden's head and he's just down right funny.

I gave the book five stars because it was an all around good book. Awesome plot, hilarious scenes, great solemn moments, and just the right amount of romance. I can't wait to read the second book now!


I gave it FIVE out of FIVE sporks

2 comments:

  1. Man, I actually couldn't stand this book. I remember reading all of it, but never found it particularly appealing. I never picked up the sequel.

    I'm glad you liked it though. :) Great review.

    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're the second person I've heard that from. :] It's not a favourite of mine but I thought it was interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.