Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Sisters Red

 
Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little Brown Books
Format: Hardcover (Given)
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

Sisters Red has been on my to read list since it first came out! I've never seen it in stores because it was always out of stock whenever I went, so my intentions of purchasing it were constantly foiled. Finally, I won a signed copy of it in a giveaway (from the store Jackson used to write in during high school) and I devoured it once I had my hands on it! It's one of my favourite books of the year, so far.

Sisters Red starts out with action in the middle of a story we don't yet understand. Then, we learn about what is known as the Fenris - humans who lack souls and transform into wolves to destroy pretty girls. When a Fenris kills Scarlett's Oma (grandma) and mars her own body in attempt to protect her sister Rosie, it becomes her life purpose to kill every Fenris. Silas, the hot woodsman, and Rosie, her beautiful young sister, fight along side her as hunters. However, Scarlett doesn't like how Rosie doesn't find fulfillment in hunting. Rosie would rather draw, or dance, or date a certain..guy. (Trying to keep it spoiler free here!) So, when Rosie goes behind Scarlett's back, she can't help but feel betrayed by 'the other half of her heart'. Betrayals, love, and a vendetta all tie together to make one fantastic book.

Plot wise, it was SO good! I loved how Jackson combined some of the old myths while creating her own myth. So, we sorta see a Red Riding Hood tie in at first; a wolf praying on pretty girls at Grandma's house. Plus, the red hooded cloaks constantly used in the story resemble the classic Red Riding Hood. Another old myth prevalent in the book is 'the seventh son of the seventh son'. It's quite interesting to see how she twists that bit into the story. *hint**hint*
As good as the plot was, I was still able to predict who the Potential was, how the Potential is picked, and the result of the epic finale. Perhaps it's because I'm really into detailed plots that I am able to figure them out, because I don't think it was the fault of the author. She kept it under wraps for a long time.

Character wise; they were good. Not 'SO good!', but good. They didn't pop off the page for me like they do in other books, but fleshed out enough so I could sympathize with them and laugh with them.
In the end, I enjoyed the book far more than I thought I would (the epilogue was awesome!) and I will definitely recommend it to any one.


I gave it FIVE out of FIVE sporks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.