Monday, July 4, 2011

Review: Linger

 
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher:Scholastic
Release Date:July 13th 2010
Where to Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Borders
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other.  Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack.  And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.










 ___________________________________________________________________





When I read Shiver, I found a story that looked pretty good. It wasn't a favourite, but it was good. Good enough for me to buy the sequel. 


However, Linger still didn't meet the expectations I had for this series. It took me a month to read this book, and that is very rare for me. When it comes to books I like, it usually takes three days - tops - for me to read it.

When I sat down to read Linger, I wasn't hooked. Nothing reached out, grabbed me, and pulled me in. I was actually bored. So, I put it aside to pick up when I was ready. When I did pick it back up, I made myself push through the boring stuff. It did get more interesting, but the climax wasn't until the very end.

Grace's transformation was probably the most interesting thing in the whole story. No, I don't mean her physical one, but her emotional one. She starts out as the good girl. The one who wouldn't break the rules or go against her parents. Then, she turns into a person who throws off the bowlines and sails away from the safe harbor. She sailed straight into rocky seas.

Sam...I like Sam. I always have, but not in the crazy fan girl way. I'd love to have the guy as a friend. I felt that he also changed a lot in this book, more than just becoming human and accepting it. He seemed much milder.

Cole wasn't a necessary addition to the plot, but intriguing none the less. Isabel...I've always liked her. Her bluntness and attitude add a spark of life to the story.

Besides having such a nice array of characters, I never was able to connect to one. I couldn't find that niche in the story that fit me, the reader. The part that made me feel like I was living it too, not just Grace, Sam, Cole, and Isabel. I think that's why I wasn't into the story as much.

Over all, it was a good story, but not the best. I love Stiefvater's writing style too. She includes such everyday things that anyone can relate to. It was the only thing that I related to the in the story, but I really liked that.
The end of the book was really nicely done, and it's the only thing that makes me want to read the last book. However, I think the ending that the reader is ultimately heading towards is one that we don't expect.
 


I gave it three sporks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.