Monday, April 23, 2012

Review: From the Two Rivers

 
Title:From the Two Rivers (#1 The Wheel of Time series)
Author: Robert Jordan
Publisher: Starscape
Release Date:  January 7th 2002 (First published in 1990)
From the Two Rivers: The Eye of the World, Part 1 (Wheel of time, #1-1) For Rand al’Thor and his pals, life in the sleepy village of Emond’s Field has been pretty dull. Until the appearance on festival night of Moiraine, a mysterious woman who claims to be an Aes Sdeai—a magician who can wield the One Power. Soon after, the village is attacked by Trollocs—a savage tribe of half-men half-beasts. Rand’s father is nearly killed. But for Rand, the news gets worse. It was not the village the Trollocs were after, Moiraine tells him. It was you, Rand.

Rand and his friends are forced to flee. But his escape will bring him face to face with the Dark One...the most powerful force of evil in the universe.
The Wheel of Time series is an old series for young adult, but it has had nothing but high acclaims. I have been strongly urged to read this series by one of my best friends and I'm glad she did.

One thing that always daunts me with books like these are the old tiny fonts. They hurt my eyes, especially when there's a lot. And there is A LOT. However, I didn't let that sway me. It took me a long time to finish this book because it just didn't hook me right away. The beginning wasn't up to the speed I like but it wasn't that slow either. It was at that iffy area. But, by the end of the book, I was attached to the characters and immediately wanted to know more.

Something I loved about this book is the style. It is so very similar to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series. Being a big LotR fan, I couldn't help but love this book. The landscape, the descriptions, the characters, the writing style...all very Tolkien-esque.

The only downside of this book is the pace. I don't care for the pace. It's a little too long for my liking, but that's how it is with lots of description. All in all, I loved the book. Not a light read in the slightest but I'd recommend the series. (Albeit daunting with it's 15 books...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to the Spork Master or her Sporks? Write it here! We love to hear from other people.